2-¼ c. white flour or fine spelt flour*
¾ c. oat bran
1 c. ground flax seed**
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk (coconut, soy, rice or other alternative milk is fine)
2 tsp. white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 c. mini chocolate chips
1. Mix the milk and vinegar and let sit for five minutes.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Crack one egg at a time and pour it into the middle of the well. Now add the other liquids into the middle. Stir gently by starting in the center, mixing the liquids first and then working your way out. Slowly incorporate more of the flour mixture as you move outwards in the bowl.
4. Fold the chocolate chips in gently to be sure not to over mix the dough.
5. Fill each muffin cup about a ¼ inch from the top.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-23 min.
Turn pan half way through (my oven bakes quite unevenly)
*I tried this with white flour the first time. Then spelt flour the second time since I was out of spelt. It was divine both times and the kids loved both versions.
**If you don’t have ground flax seed, you can replace it with ¼ c. oil